Vehicle crashes into Middlesex Hospital, driver lights himself on fire

Vehicle crashes into Middlesex Hospital, driver lights himself on fire

A deranged man plowed his auto into a CT hospital and then set himself on fire, officials said Thursday. O'Brien shows the immediate aftermath of the crash.

The vehicle slammed into the Middlesex Hospital in Middletown, Conn. around 10 a.m., destroying the entrance to the emergency room. A fire crew then arrives at the scene and tried to extinguish the fire. Ellam was sent to Bridgeport Hospital with burn injuries and is in critical condition.

The suspect was known to police, according to Drew.

He ran straight into the smoke filled emergency room within a minute of the crash occurring, and says emergency room staff were already in full response mode, moving the roughly 30 patients away from danger and out the back of the building.

However, he did say he doesn't believe there is an active threat to the community, and that authorities believe it is an isolated incident.

The FBI, state police and Hartford bomb squad were also searching his home in Middletown and homes surrounding it were evacuated, the mayor said.

He has been convicted of driving under the influence, criminal mischief and assault.

The bomb squad and state and federal authorities were called in to help. However, he says that police are securing other public facilities in Middletown, including schools, out of an abundance of caution.

Yale-New Haven Hospital and Hartford HealthCare have said they are increasing security as a precaution at emergency departments and some other locations. The hospital has canceled non-emergent surgeries and outpatient radiology tests that were scheduled for Friday.

Middlesex Hospital has invoked temporary crisis measures, as have some other hospitals in the area.

Eli Solomon '20 was among several hospital volunteers who were ordered to evacuate the premises after the incident. "I found the volunteer coordinator and asked what was going on and she said that a auto had driven into the emergency room entrance and she just sent me home [because of the threat]".

Gary Mills, who lives across the street from the hospital, said he saw it all happen and spoke to reporters afterwards.

This is a developing story, and it will be updated accordingly.

Related Articles