Condom-snorting challenge causes concerns

Condom-snorting challenge causes concerns

Forbes said in an article on Saturday that snorting condoms poses several risks - including getting it stuck in your nose or throat, with the risk of suffocation.

In videos, teens unwrap a sheath, snort it up one nostril and then pull it through their mouth.

If you search YouTube, the only new videos mentioning the challenge are news reports saying that it's the latest internet trend.

"Because these days our teens are doing everything for likes, views and subscribers", Stephen Enriquez, a state education specialist, told KPMH.

Although it's unclear why news of the condom-snorting challenge has resurfaced, it appears to be related to the recent warnings about these types of games. Another woman accidentally swallowed the condom and it blocked her appendix, leading to appendicitis.

Condom snorting challenge: But at what cost?




It's been a few months since people have stopped posting videos of themselves eating Tide laundry detergent pods, so now it's time for a new disturbing viral trend: the "condom snorting challenge".

The craze has since led to Bruce Lee an associated professor at Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, addressing the trend in an opinion piece for Forbes. In America the "challenge" dates back to at least 2007, when a YouTuber uploaded herself snorting a condom, but YouTube pulled the video for containing "harmful or risky content". Lee goes on to outline various situations in which people have accidentally swallowed condoms while performing oral sex and had serious complications, including a collapse of the right upper lobe of a lung and appendicitis.

"Would it really be worth all that just to get more like and views?".

Many of these challenges are done for likes, clicks, shares, and attention. Eventually YouTube started flagging videos that showed up regarding the challenge.

There were 39 such reported cases involving teenagers in 2016.

Related Articles