Trump administration announces new tariffs on Chinese tech goods amid trade disputes

Trump administration announces new tariffs on Chinese tech goods amid trade disputes

The announcement on Tuesday restated comments by administration officials to the effect that both the tariffs and the restrictions remained in place even after the USA and China sketched out a deal this month to reduce China's $375bn trade surplus with America.

Then, on Tuesday, the White House abruptly changed its tune. The group cited research from Iowa State University economist Dermot Hayes, who estimates that US pork producers have lost $2.2 billion on an annualized basis as a result of events leading up to and following China's 25 percent punitive tariff on pork.

China did not commit to cut the gap by any specific amount.

Investor Wilbur Ross was brought into the administration as one of President Donald Trump's "killers" - but in recent months, the commerce secretary has been increasingly marginalized, with his agency widely seen in the White House as a mess. He's also made a habit of threatening unilateral action to try to gain leverage in trade disputes. "Simplification of visa procedures between the United States and China must be in the common interests of both our sides".

When asked whether it was the administration's goal to keep China from becoming a leader in high-tech industries, Navarro said, "Exactly".

China hawk White House Director of Trade and Policy Peter Navarro was largely absent from last week's talks in Washington led by Liu He, China's top economic advisor.

The Trump administration has renewed its threat to place 25 percent tariffs on $50 billion of Chinese goods in retaliation for what it says are China's unfair trade practices.

But in subsequent weeks, negotiations with China focused on narrower concerns, such as the bilateral trade deficit.

In mid-May, China agreed to boost imports of US grain as well as oil and gas.

White House National Trade Council Director Peter Navarro is contradicting Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin's assertion that the US trade war with China is on hold. The two countries have not yet implemented their tariff increases.

A truce between China and the U.S. said to put a trade war on hold has dissolved in less than two weeks.




"When the leadership of the trade agenda is oscillating between Mnuchin and Lighthizer, it doesn't motivate anyone - particularly the Chinese - to start making major concessions", Altbach said. The investigation determined that Beijing commits intellectual property theft and forces foreign companies to hand over valuable data in order to operate in the Chinese market and compete with domestic firms.

The Global Times, an influential tabloid run by the ruling Communist Party's official People's Daily, said the United States was suffering from a "delusion" and warned that the "trade renege could leave Washington dancing with itself".

However, none of the tariffs above came into effect.

It was not clear if the developments would have any impact on the planned visit to China by Ross.

But earlier this month, China and the United States pledged not to launch a trade war.

Trump has faced a backlash among lawmakers this month after announcing he would soften United States sanctions on the Chinese telecoms equipment maker ZTE, which neared collapse due to an April ban on purchasing crucial United States components.

That plan was met with fierce bipartisan resistance over the weekend.

Chinese government documents revealing the trademarks were first publicised by Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington (CREW).

"China's success means that it can no longer credibly defend protectionist policies on the grounds that it is still a "developing country", said the American chamber.

"Our priorities depend on what day it is, which is not a good way to conduct a negotiation", he said.

Related Articles