Trump tweets 'very nice' letter from North Korea's Kim

Trump tweets 'very nice' letter from North Korea's Kim

Donald Trump has released a letter he received from North Korean leader Kim Jong-un while touting "great progress" in negotiations between the United States and Pyongyang - despite reports of a breakdown in talks.

Since that time, Trump has claimed a major victory (it's not), called Kim Jong Un "a very talented man, loves his country very much" (he kills his own family members and citizens) and has said North Korea is most definitely prepared to dismantle their nuclear arsenal, despite satellite footage from CNN that shows an upgrading arsenal.

Mr. Pompeo denied that the talks went poorly, telling pool reporters that progress was made "in every element of our discussions".

Pompeo said his counterpart Kim Yong Chol in North Korea "made a commitment" that North Korea intends "to denuclearize".

U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo failed to make any significant progress in fleshing out the North's denuclearization process during his third visit to Pyongyang last week.

"We will be ready", Mr Nauert said.

But it made no mention of any efforts by Pyongyang towards denuclearisation - a key issue the two leaders discussed at June's historic summit in Singapore.

Interested in North Korea?

North Korean representatives didn't show up for scheduled talks with the USA about returning the remains of fallen American soldiers.




And even as Mr Trump released Kim's note, the USA was asking the UN Security Council to punish North Korea after finding that Pyongyang had violated restrictions on refined oil imports.

It had been expected on Thursday at the inter-Korean truce village of Panmunjom.

The letter is dated July 6.

"The North Koreans were just messing around, not serious about moving forward", the source told CNN's Michelle Kosinski, adding that Pompeo had been promised a meeting with Kim, and the fact that it failed to materialize sent a big message.

An estimated 30,000 U.S. soldiers died in the Korean war.

North Korea said Saturday it was seeking the "earliest start of the working-level talks" on the recovery of US remains.

The letter contrasts with a statement put out on July 7 by an unnamed North Korean official saying that Washington's attitude and stance were "regrettable" and that the United States "came up only with its unilateral and gangster-like demand for denuclearization".

Between 1996 and 2005, some 33 recovery operations were conducted in North Korea which saw 200 sets of remains returned.

Related Articles