Businesses, Students Spurn Saudi Arabia Over Khashoggi's Disappearance

Businesses, Students Spurn Saudi Arabia Over Khashoggi's Disappearance

The Saudi government is considering whether to say that rogue intelligence operatives murdered activist and writer Jamal Khashoggi by mistake inside the kingdom's consulate in Istanbul earlier this month, multiple media outlets reported Monday.

Khashoggi, a USA resident, Washington Post columnist and leading critic of the powerful Saudi crown prince, Mohammed bin Salman, vanished after entering the consulate on October 2 to get marriage documents.

When asked about a CNN report that the Saudis are preparing to acknowledge Khashoggi's death as a result of an interrogation that went awry, she stressed the need for a "credible and transparent" investigation. Britain, France and Germany, which have also tended to prioritize economic ties with Riyadh, issued a joint statement saying they "expect the Saudi government to provide a complete and detailed response".

"One source says the report will likely conclude that the operation was carried out without clearance and transparency and that those involved will be held responsible", CNN added.

Mr Trump has forged closer ties with Saudi Arabia and is under global and domestic pressure to help determine what happened to Mr Khashoggi and punish Saudi Arabia if investigations show its government had him killed. "Imposing any type of sanctions on Saudi Arabia by the West will cause the kingdom to resort to other options", he said.

United Kingdom foreign secretary Jeremy Hunt told Saudi Arabia Britain wants urgent answers over the reporter's disappearance.

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo is to meet Saudi King Salman amid growing controversy over the fate of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi.

Trump calls Khashoggi's disappearance a "terrible situation".




Pelosi then questioned whether Trump put personal profit ahead of country in the case of Khashoggi - whom the Saudis are reportedly about to admit was killed in a botched interrogation. Saudi officials have repeatedly denied any knowledge of the journalist's whereabouts, but Turkish officials claim they have evidence to prove the Saudi dissident was killed while inside the consulate.

October 9: Cengiz writes an op-ed in Washington Post, saying her husband-to-be had applied for US citizenship and that his reason for visiting Turkey was to take care of all necessary paperwork for them to marry before he returned to Washington.

In Istanbul, meanwhile, investigators entered the consulate for their own investigation.

JP Morgan CEO James Dimon and Ford chairman Bill Ford said on Sunday they would also not attend.

A team of cleaners were reported to have entered the consulate on Monday lunchtime - "causing a minor flurry of excitement", according to one reporter - hours before the search team showed up.

The kingdom seems to be taking on each challenge one by one, beginning with Turkey where the macabre incident took place.

The Stephen Harper government brokered a massive combat-vehicle sale to Saudi Arabia before the Trudeau government took power in 2015.

Turkey believes that he was murdered and dismembered inside the building by a 15-person Saudi team which entered and left the country on the same day.

Related Articles